This post may contain affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may earn a commission. Also, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These BGE – Baked Beans w/ Bacon are an excellent side for any cook and a must try! After smoking for about an hour in a cast iron skillet they become a delicious dish that has a lightly smoked flavor.
If the primary meat is also being done on the BGE simply pull the Baked Beans off the BGE after about an hour and put them in the oven at 200 degrees while you cook the main course.
- 60 oz – Bush’s Baked Beans (Original Flavor)
- 1 Pound – Thick Bacon
- 1 – Yellow Onion
- 1 – Green Pepper
- 1 Cup – Ketchup
- 1 Cup – Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon – Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon – Mustard
- Cast Iron Skillet (12″ for the Large Big Green Egg)
Setting up the BGE
For the baked beans we will simply be dialing in the BGE at about 350 degrees. The BGE – Baked Beans cook are direct heat with the cast iron skillet placed directly on the grate.
How to Prepare BGE – Baked Beans
Get your cast iron skillet ready to combine all ingredients after each method of preparation. First add the Baked Beans.
Make sure to use the thick sliced bacon as it really adds more flavor at the end of the cook. Simply cook all bacon, break into small pieces and put it on the beans in the skillet. Take note – KEEP THE BACON GREASE.
Chop up the yellow or red onion and the green pepper.
Add it to the bacon grease that is left over and simmer until cooked. Remove with a slotted spatula so that the grease is drained and add it to the beans.
Add everything else (brown sugar, mustard, ketchup…) to the skillet.
Stir everything up and it is ready to go on the BGE
Place the beans on the BGE and close the lid. Let them cook and simmer for an hour at 350 degrees. After this they are ready to eat!
As mentioned above, if making another item simply preheat the oven to 200 degrees and transfer the baked beans from the BGE to the Oven while you cook the main course.
This plated meal is a New York Strip steak that is cooked the same way as my BGE -T-Bone Steak Recipe. Once complete plate everything and enjoy!
These BGE - Baked Beans w/ Bacon are an excellent side for any cook and a must try! After smoking for about an hour in cast iron skillet they become a delicious dish that has a lightly smoked flavor. If the primary meat is also being done on the BGE simply pull the Baked Beans off the BGE after about an hour and put them in the oven at 200 degrees while you cook the main course.
- 60 oz - Bush's Baked Beans (Original Flavor)
- 1 Pound - Thick Bacon
- 1 - Yellow Onion
- 1 - Green Pepper
- 1 Cup - Ketchup
- 1 Cup - Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon - Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon - Mustard
- Cast Iron Skillet (12" for the Large Big Green Egg)
- In a cast iron skillet add the beans.
- Cook the bacon and add it to the cast iron skillet (be sure to use the thick cut). Upon completion keep the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the chopped onion and green pepper to the hot bacon grease and simmer until cooked.
- Drain the grease and discard. Place the onions and green pepper in the cast iron skillet with the beans.
- Add all the remaining items to the skillet and mix well.
- Fire up the Big Green Egg and get it dialed into 350 degrees.
- Smoke the baked bean for an hour, pull and enjoy!
If you want more backyard tips including recipes, how-tos and more, make sure you subscribe to my youtube channel