This smoked Au Gratin Potatoes recipe on the Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe is a fantastic side that will keep your guests coming back for seconds and even thirds! In this Au Gratin recipe I’ve taken the families recipe that my mom has made for years and amplified it with a touch of delicious smoke!
How to Setup the Big Green Egg for Smoked Deluxe Au Gratin Potatoes?
These smoked Au Gratin Potatoes are cooked on the Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe around 375 – 400 degrees. When smoking, they should be cooked with indirect heat. Be sure to insert your plate setter or conv”egg”tor with the feet facing upward.
Smoked Au Gratin Potatoes Ingredients
- 2 lbs – Frozen Hash Browns
- 8 Tablespoons – Butter (Melted)
- 1 Pint – Sour Cream
- 1 – Yellow Onion (diced)
- 8 oz – Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 can – Cream of Mushroom Soup
How to Prepare Smoked Au Gratin Potatoes?
To prepare Smoked Au Gratin Potatoes, start out by thawing the hash browns for an hour or two. While you can cook them frozen it will cook in half the time if they are thawed out.
Once the hash browns are thawed place them in a cast iron pan.
Add shredded cheddar cheese.
Add cream of mushroom soup.
Add the sour cream.
Add melted butter.
Once all ingredients are added to the cast iron pan mix them all together. Once complete, make sure you level them off in the pan so that they are able to cook evenly.
How to Cook Smoked Au Gratin Potatoes?
Once prepared, these delicious Au Gratin Potatoes are a simple cook on the Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe! Simply take the cast iron skillet and place it on the grate of the BGE. The Egg should be dialed into about 375 – 400 degrees in which the Au Gratin Potatoes will take about an hour and 15 minutes to cook. Once complete, simply pull them off and enjoy! These Au Gratin Potatoes smoked on The Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe are an excellent side dish for so many main dish’s, especially this smoked prime rib recipe!
This deliciously Smoked Au Gratin Potatoes on the Big GreenEgg or Kamado Joe will surely have people coming back for seconds and even thirds!It’s an excellent combination of potatoes and cheese with the prefect kiss of smoke!
- 2 lbs Frozen Hash Browns
- 8 Tablespoons Butter (Melted)
- 1 Pint Sour Cream
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 each Yellow Onion (diced)
- 8 ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- If hash browns are frozen, thaw 1-2 hours prior to preparing the recipe. While they can be cooked frozen it will double the time it takes to cook.
- Once the hash browns are thawed, add everything and mix it together in the cast iron skillet. Level the ingredients in the pan for an even cook.
- Get the Big Green Egg dialed into 375-400 degrees with the plate setter or conv"egg"tor inserted for an indirect cook.
- Place the Au Gratin potatoes on the Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check to confirm they are done and enjoy!