If you have never had these south of the border stuffed Fritos on the Big Green Egg then they need to be on your list of appetizers to try! The south of the bordered stuff Fritos wont let you down at any gathering, in fact, I’ve made double batches and still ran out of this delicious finger food.
This recipe is a spin off from Big Green Eggers and the author is listed as Frank, so big shout out to him for this recipe. If you are looking for another great crowd pleaser be sure to check out this Smoked Nacho Chili recipe. It follows the south of the border stuffed Fritos nicely.
How to Make South of the Border Stuffed Fritos on the Big Green Egg?
Start out by making the taco beef mixture. Place a lb in a mixing bowl.
Add your favorite taco seasoning.
Add the diced yellow onion.
Add the Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese.
Add the Salsa
Don’t forget the diced jalapeno if you are looking for a spicier version. Mix everything together well.
Spoon / stuff the Fritos with the taco meat mixture.
Fill the pan up and you are ready to get the South of the Border Stuffed Frito’s on the BGE!
How to Cook the South of the Border Stuffed Fritos
Get the Big Green Egg fired up and dialed into 350 degrees. The stuffed Fritos are an indirect cook in which you’ll need your plate setter / conv”egg”tor inserted with the feet facing up.
Place the taco meat stuffed Fritos on the BGE.
After about 8 minutes you’ll want to start checking them.
When the internal temperature is probing 165 degrees they are ready to be pulled and enjoyed.
Just don’t forget to top them with your favorite toppings whether that is sour cream or guacamole. Enjoy these South of the Border Stuffed Fritos and don’t forget to check back for more recipes, tips and tricks!
If you have never had these south of the border stuffed Fritos on the Big Green Egg then they need to be on your list of appetizers to try! The south of the bordered stuff Fritos wont let you down at any gathering, in fact, I've made double batches and still ran out of this delicious finger food.
- 1 lb - Lean Ground Beef (90/10)
- 1 Cup - Colby Jack or Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning (1/4 Cup)
- 1/4 Cup Diced Onion
- 5 Tablespoons - Salsa (mild or hot depending on the guests you are cooking for)
- 1 Bag - Fritos (Scoops)
- 1 each - Jalapenos, Diced (Optional)
- 1 each - Sour Cream (Optional)
- 1 each - Guacamole (Optional)
- In a mixing bowl combine the ground beef, cheese, taco seasoning, chopped onion & salsa (also add the optional jalapenos here). Mix all ingredients together well.
- Spoon / stuff Fritos with beef taco mixture and place on pan (covered with tin foil for easier cleaning).
- Cook indirect with platesetter / conv"egg"tor with the feet facing upward at 350 degrees until the internal temperature of the meat temps at 165 degrees.
- Squeeze your choice of Sour Cream or Guacamole or both to top these delicious stuff Fritos off.
If you don't have a squirt bottle style sour cream / guacemole simply place in a sandwich bag, cut the corner and squeeze on top of the south of the border stuffed Fritos.
Ensure you use a leaner meat as the chips will become soft and soggy if a 80/20 ground beef is utilized.
If you are in a northern state like me and its a blizzard out for the big game, these are ALMOST as good in the oven as they are on the Big Green Egg
Ben has a bachelor’s degree in construction engineering. When not constructing or remodeling X-Ray Rooms, Cardiovascular Labs, and Pharmacies, you can find him at home with wife and two daughters. Outside of family, He loves grilling and barbequing on his Big Green Egg and Blackstone Griddle, as well as working on projects around the house.
If you want more backyard tips including recipes, how-tos and more, make sure you subscribe to my youtube channel