This post may contain affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may earn a commission. Also, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.--
This smoked over the top chili on the Big Green Egg is an easy cook from a classic family chili recipe. You just can’t go wrong with smoked over the top chili on a cool fall afternoon or on a cold winter day!
This recipe will for surely warm you up but it isn’t too spicy. If you are looking for more of a hot smoked over the top chili simply add some Franks Red Hot Sauce to it and that will do the trick!
Smoked over the Top Chili Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoons – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons – Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons – Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoons – Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons – Swamp Venom
- 1/4 teaspoon – Ground Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons – Tomato Paste
- 2 – Yellow onions
- 1 – Yellow Pepper
- 1 – Red Pepper
- 1 – Green Pepper
- 1 – Large Jalapeno
- 2 lbs – Ground Beef (90/10)
- 1 package – Bacon
- 1 1/2 Cups – Beef Broth
- 15 oz (1 can) – Diced Tomatoes
- 15 oz (1 can) – Red Kidney Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
- 8 oz (1 can) – Tomato Sauce
- Toppings – Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips and Shredded Cheese (Hot Sauce also optional)
How to Prepare the Chili for the Smoked over the Top Chili?
Start out by by dicing the Red Pepper, Green Pepper, Yellow Pepper, Yellow onion and Jalapeno (Optional, seeds removed and rinsed).
One thing I love about cast iron skillets is that it eliminates the dished. With this cast iron skillet you’ll be able to saute your peppers and onions for the Over the Top Chili and migrate it right on to the big green egg.
Start out by putting a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and then add the Onion, Yellow, Green, Red and Jalapeno Peppers. Over Medium heat, simmer and saute the peppers and onion until done.
Next, add the Tomato Paste.
Continue to add Diced Tomatoes, Red Kidney Beans, Beef Broth and Tomato Sauce.
Once done, mix together, set aside and move on to preparing the beef.
How to Prepare the Meat for the Smoked over the Top Chili?
In a small bowl combine Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Garlic Powder, Swamp Venom by Dizzy Pig (Substitute salt if you don’t have Swamp Venom Rub) and Cayenne Pepper (optional). Mix well.
Place meat in a bowl (2 lbs recommended but I’m coking for just my wife and I so we are only using 1 pound here).
Add seasoning to beef.
Mix seasoning into beef. Create a nice, large meatball style ball of beef. Dump any remaining seasoning into the chili.
How to Setup and Cook the over the Top Chili on the Big Green Egg?
Fire up the Big Green Egg and get it dialed into 225-250 degrees. The over the top chili will be cooked in indirect heat with the plate setter / conv”egg”tor feet facing up.
Once the Big Green Egg is dialed into 225 degrees set the chili on the grate. If you don’t have two grates, ball three or four balls of tin foil and set them on the plate setter. Then set the cast iron skillet on the tin foil.
This will allow airflow between the plate setter and the over the top chili’s cast iron pan.
Bacon is optional, but adds great flavor. I also like to smoke bacon off to the side as the cooks snack! Smoke the over the top chili on the Big Green Egg until the internal temperature of the meat is 155 degrees.
Once the meat hits 155 degrees pull just the meat off of the egg.
Break the meat apart and add it back to the over the top chili mixing it together.
Continue to smoke the over the top chili for another hour or two and serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy this smoked over the top chili on the Big Green Egg!
This smoked over the top chili is an easy cook from a classic family chili recipe in which you just can't go wrong.
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Swamp Venom (By Dizzy Pig)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 each Yellow Onions
- 1 each Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 each Red Bell Pepper
- 1 each Green Bell Pepper
- 1 each Large Jalapeno
- 2 lbs Ground Beef (90/10 is preferred so it isn't so greasy)
- 1 package Bacon
- 1 1/2 Cups Beef Broth
- 15 oz Diced Tomatoes (1 can)
- 15 oz Red Kidney Beans (1 can drained and rinsed)
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce (1 can)
- Dice all bell peppers, onions and the jalapeno.
- In the cast iron skillet add a Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil followed by all the bell peppers, onions and jalapeno. Over medium heat simmer and saute them.
- Add and stir in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, red kidney beans, beef broth and tomato sauce. Once mixed together set aside.
- In a bowl combine the chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, swamp venom and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Add the meat and mix in the seasoning creating a nice large ball of meat. Any remaining seasoning can be dumped into the cast iron pan.
- Fire up the Big Green Egg for an indirect cook in which the plate settter / conv"egg"tor will sit with the feet facing up. Get the BGE dialed in right around 225-250 degrees.
- Place the cast iron skillet on the grate with another grate on top of it to hold the meat above the chili. Smoke until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 155 degrees. Pull the meat and bacon and break apart to put back in the chili. Mix in and smoke for another hour or two until you are ready to eat.
Don’t forget optional toppings like sour cream, tortilla chips, cheese and even hot sauce!
If you want more backyard tips including recipes, how-tos and more, make sure you subscribe to my youtube channel